NABA’s two-year MA in Visual Arts and Curatorial Studies is the only program in Europe that combines a solid education in visual arts production with highly specialized curatorial training.
You’ll explore visual culture, visual arts and performance, exhibition design, contemporary art management, curatorial studies, and art criticism, as well as arts writing and communication. You’ll participate in a wide range of laboratory projects that allow you to engage directly with artists and curators of international standing.
You’ll have the opportunity to:
- Learn a visual and aesthetic vocabulary for working with images
- Deepen your knowledge of research and theoretical methodologies relevant to contemporary art
- Advance your knowledge of art history, the art economy, and the contemporary art system
- Develop advanced techniques in painting, drawing, graphic design, video, photography, sound design, and other media
- Produce and display professional artistic works and curatorial projects
- Develop professional-level skills in organizing and curating exhibitions and cultural activities
- Learn to write about art from a place of deep understanding
The MA in Visual Arts and Curatorial Studies is recognized by the Italian Ministry of Education, Universities and Research (MIUR) as a Master of Arts degree (120 CFs).
Graduates of the MA in Visual Arts and Curatorial Studies program will have the theoretical, technical, and practical skills to launch a career as a(n):
- Editor of specialized magazines and books
- Art critic and journalist
- Exhibition designer
- Gallery or museum director
- Consultant at an auction house
- Art dealer
- Director of a public institution
DURATION: 2 years
LANGUAGE: Italian / English
TITLE: Master of Arts degree
CREDITS: 120 CFs
Placement rate: 89% (cert. IPSOS Observer)
Visual Arts I, Curatorial Studies I, Exhibition Design I, Publishing I, Photography I, Phenomenology of Contemporary Art, Theory and Methodology of Mass Media, and History of Exhibition
Visual Arts II, Curatorial Studies II, History of Contemporary Art, Visual Anthropology, and Economy of Art
+ Two optional exams between: Publishing II, Exhibition Design II, Photography II, and Semiotics of the Body
Masters and courses are recognized by the Italian Ministry of Education, Universities and Research (MIUR) as a Master of Arts degree (120 CFs).
Through exchange programmes, NABA's International Office encourages and supports students wishing to study abroad.The office promotes educational experiences at numerous prestigious international partner universities worldwide. Thanks to this vast international network, students at NABA are able to spend periods of study abroad, enriching their educational curriculum and laying the groundwork for increasingly international future careers.International study opportunities are mainly provided as part of the Erasmus+ project promoted by the European Commission, the International Exchange Program for destinations outside of Europe, the Semester Abroad Program at the Galileo Global Education and short summer courses.NABA counts more than 50 cooperation agreements with European academies and universities through the Erasmus+ Programme; the Academy also counts more than 20 international cooperation agreements with several universities outside Europe.
- International class
- International faculty
- Lessons in foreign language 100%
- Issuance of foreign diploma and certifications