The Specializing Master DESIGN FOR FOOD aims to train professionals, entrepreneurs, independent innovators, civil servants with competences in the design and management of systems, processes and products-services in the food sector. Professional Profiles characterized by a profile combining the design and experimental approach of design with the thematic knowledge of the logics of the food sector in all its extension “from field to table”, including the traditional and more advanced production and distribution systems and with a specific attention to sustainability.
The sector already expresses forms, experimentations, experiences, innovation and project-oriented cases, requires a transversal expertise able to integrate in a strategic way the different design factors. For this reason, the Specializing Master completes the design and food engineering skills, brought by Politecnico di Milano, with the thematic and specific ones in the food area related to humanities, food technology and gastronomic sciences, brought by the University of Gastronomic Sciences.
Participants will be able to:
- understand the socio-economic and environmental transformations of the sector
outline innovative models and strategic orientations for the specific sector
design for sustainability;
- understand and design the territorial impacts of food supply chains;
- use theoretical and critical skills to define design opportunities;
- understand and use the potential of the sector’s technologies, as well as the main elements of the production processes of the different supply chains;
- design complex solutions and their articulation in terms of product, service, communication and space;
- manage the main elements of food safety and planning;
- manage all phases of the process of conception, design, development and implementation of an innovative solution in an advanced perspective that includes participatory approaches;
- use specific design tools for design.
The job opportunities for graduates are manifold. These will be practitioners whose profiles combine the design and experimental approach with specific knowledge of the underlying logic of the food sector in its extension “from field to table”, considering traditional and innovative production and distribution systems, with specific attention to sustainability.
For example, we can list:
- R&D FOOD Project Manager: R&D managers for the improvement and implementation of food processing and production processes;
- FOOD Service & Product Designer: professionals specialised in the conception and design development of sustainable food products and services;
- FOOD Brand Manager: marketing managers for the development and implementation of innovative food product-service lines;
- FOOD startupper/entrepreneur: inventors and self-employed entrepreneurs capable of transforming innovative ideas into sustainable new businesses in the agri-food sector;
- FOOD Innovation Specialist: professionals and consultants of innovative food strategies and policies within companies, public institutions, research centres and third sector organisations.
The Specializing Master DESIGN FOR FOOD is organized according to a mix of theory and practice that sees the alternation of lessons and hands-on activities on projects and exercises organized in the form of workshops or applied experiences, such as study-tours and compulsory internship.
The Specializing Master DESIGN FOR FOOD is structured according to an lesson plan that provides:
- Frontal lessons: aimed to introduce the main themes of study and the acquisition of tools and methodologies for analysis and design development; the lessons are held by a Faculty with professors from the Politecnico di Milano and the University of Gastronomic Sciences in Pollenzo, in addition to qualified external professionals;
- Workshop: “hands-on” activities developed in studio (also in collaboration with external companies) aimed at the application of tools and methodologies for the development of product-service ideas;
- Study Trips: educational trips aimed to approach the topics dealt with, through experiences applied to real contexts in the food sector;
- Internship: 470 hours of training experience in a partner reality of the Master or suggested directly by the participants in agreement with the coordination of the Master.
Title and acknowledgements At the end of the Course, a certificate of attendance will be issued by POLI.design S.c.r.l.
Request information to get in touch with a tutor and receive more specific details
- International class
- International faculty
- Lessons in foreign language 0%
- International traineeship
- Traineeship at international companies
- Attendance of the master abroad