More about this course
This Education MA degree at London Metropolitan University aims to introduce you to key academic and professional debates within the field, helping you to develop a professional voice and standpoint. Upon successful completion of this course, we hope that you will feel enthused about returning to the field and feel intellectually empowered to initiate change.
A key theme embedded in this master’s degree is social justice. This course is aligned with our Education for Social Justice (ESJ) strategy to ensure equity in our curriculum practice.
Our modules have been developed to broaden the knowledge and meaning of the term ‘education’, as well as its purpose from being a ‘product’ to understanding how the curriculum is managed and led. You’ll also explore its influence on children’s learning, assessment and life chances. This degree has five core 20 credit modules:
- Curriculum, Pedagogy and Assessment
- Curriculum Leadership
- Critical Theory and Education
- Research Methods in Education
- Education Dissertation
Specialist option modules allow you to explore subjects that are of particular interest to you in more detail, such as:
- Applying Learning Technologies
- Issues in Language Learning: An Intercultural Approach
- Reflective Practice
- Social Justice Education
- Web-based Learning and Teaching
- Understanding the Language Classroom
If you have a particular interest in studying women abuse, you are also able to choose from the following option modules:
- Sexual Violence: Causes, Consequences and Interventions
- Violence against Women: Issues, Research and Policy
This course can be completed as a postgraduate diploma by taking four core modules and two optional modules.
Where this course can take you
The course benefits you whatever your interest in education, be it as a parent, teacher, researcher, community worker or education administrator.
Our recent graduates have gone on to find careers in the education sector as deputy head teachers, special needs teachers and behaviour management coordinators.
The modules listed below are for the academic year 2020/21 and represent the course modules at this time. Modules and module details (including, but not limited to, location and time) are subject to change over time.
Year 1 modules include:
- +Critical Theory and Education
- +Curriculum Leadership
- +Curriculum, Pedagogy and Assessment
- +Education Dissertation
- +Research Methods in Education
- +Advanced English for Masters Studies
- +Applying Learning Technologies
- +Issues in Language Learning: An Intercultural Approach
- +Reflective Practice
- +Sexual Violence: Causes, Consequences and Interventions
- +Social Justice Education
- +Specialist Study Module
- +Understanding the Language Classroom
- +Violence Against Women: Issues, Research and Policy
- +Web-based Learning and Teaching