Our MRes in Health and Social Care at University of Manchester is designed to give you an in-depth understanding of the theoretical underpinnings of research and the research methods relevant to applied research in contemporary health and social care contexts.
The course is designed for those who want to pursue a career in health and/or social care where research is a core component. Most of the units on this course are shared with other MSc and PhD programmes.
You will learn how to conduct and apply health and social care research to practice at both an individual and organisational level, drawing on the expertise of renowned lecturers and practitioners from disciplines including social work, nursing, midwifery, speech and language therapy, audiology, psychology and medicine.
This course aims to:
- enable you to further develop systematic, in-depth knowledge and critical understanding of the nature, purposes, methods and application of research relevant to health and social care practice at an individual and/or organisational level;
- contribute to building capacity and capability for research and evidence-based practice by equipping you with in-depth knowledge and essential skills to critically appraise, apply, design and undertake high-quality research in a range of health and social care settings;
- enhance the quality and evidence base for health and social care research, practice and service development through the provision of robust research training in a stimulating, challenging and supportive learning environment that draws on outstanding resources and expertise in research and practice;
- promote lifelong learning and enhance opportunities to pursue a variety of research careers and/or further research training that support and advance clinical and health and social care knowledge, research and practice;
- equip you with key transferable skills in critical reasoning and reflection, effective communication, team and multi-disciplinary working, use of IT/health informatics and logical and systematic approaches to problem-solving and decision-making.
The MRes Health & Social Care (MRes HSC) programme will equip students with an in-depth understanding and knowledge and skills in a range of theoretical underpinnings and research methods relevant to applied research in a range of contemporary health and social care contexts.
The MRes HSC is for students who wish to pursue a variety of careers in health and/or social care where research is a core component.