The MA Children's Book Illustration at ARU, Anglia Ruskin University is a taught studio course that focuses on the creative development and direction of each student artist. The teaching is delivered primarily by internationally recognised artists, writers and publishers who work professionally in the field of children's books. Each module requires you to propose and develop a project through negotiation with tutors, within the broad parameters of the module definition. One-to-one tutorial support is seen as a key element of the student experience along with group critiques, briefings and seminars.
Graduates of this course tend to aim for freelance careers as authors or illustrators for children. It has an outstanding record of success in this area. Among our published recent graduates are Paula Metcalf, Marta Altés, Nadia Shireen, Birgitta Sif, Rebecca Patterson, Jo Empsom and Kazuno Kohara.
Modules & assessment
- Observation and Experiment
- The Sequential Image
- The Diploma Project
- The Diploma Review
- Master's Project: Art and Design
Modules are subject to change and availability.
Throughout the course, you will be asked to create various projects, to reflect on the work you have created, and to research and apply that research to your own craft.
The Observation and Experiment module will be assessed 100% on portfolio and your own reference of your portfolio work. In the Sequential Image module, your portfolio will be worth 80% of your grade, and an essay makes up the other 20%. The Diploma Project module grade is based 90% on portfolio and 10% on a research proposal. Your Diploma Review thesis will be assessed 100% on your 6,000 word essay, while the Master's Stage Project will be assessed 90% on your project work and 10% on your written report.
As you advance through the course, you’ll learn to work progressively more independently, preparing you for life beyond graduation.