More about this course
This food science degree at London Metropolitan University provides advanced study opportunities that build on your previous experience in an appropriate first degree course enabling the upgrade of existing qualifications, while also developing knowledge and skills.
The course team has particular expertise in food analysis, food microbiology and including food safety, spoilage and fermentations, product development and quality control, as well as an excellent understanding of food sustainability, food policy and nutrition.
This expertise is reflected in the range of modules offered in the MSc with analytical facilities available for study and research, and opportunities to be involved in food analysis, food product development and food manufacturing projects.
The Microbiology Research Unit team provides vital support and research topics for the dissertation element of the course and other staff members are involved in food manufacturing consultancy. London Metropolitan University has an excellent research profile, with food science staff publishing in highly rated journals and supervising PhD students appearing on radio and television as experts.
The structure of the course gives you the essential knowledge and skills for your future career. You can choose to emphasise laboratory-based subjects such as food microbiology and food analysis or areas such as quality assurance or food production and development including sensory analysis. The course develops your knowledge of food manufacturing and processing, analysis and testing packaging, storage, distribution, legal aspects, sustainability and food security.
You'll ultimately become an independent researcher or potential manager, with the ability to critically evaluate food science and apply it to new situations, following either an academic or an industrial related career path.
Where this course can take you
The food industry is the UK’s largest manufacturing sector and there is a massive demand for qualified professionals. The skills and knowledge developed in your MSc will enhance your career opportunities in food and related industries including manufacturing, product development, marketing, environmental health, consultancy, research or education. Graduates are also well prepared for research and for postgraduate study (PhD). Interview practice with industry support and CV development is also integrated into the course.
Our recent MSc graduates have gone on to join the following positions and companies:
- food technologist – Haydens Bakery
- technical legislation coordinator – United Biscuits
- process development – Bakkavor
- technical team member – Food Partners Group
- quality control – Nestlé
- nutritionist and quality analyst – Krush Global
- business development manager – Kerry Group
- consumer technologist – Wealmoor Ltd
- microbiology technician – GlaxoSmithKline
- confectionary development – Sainsbury’s
- technical team manager – Nature’s Way Foods
- lecturers and researchers – London Metropolitan University, Coventry University, Kyushu University, University of Trinidad and Tobago, University of Melbourne
The modules listed below are for the academic year 2020/21 and represent the course modules at this time. Modules and module details (including, but not limited to, location and time) are subject to change over time.
Year 1 modules include:
- +Advanced Food Analysis
- +Food Microbiology and Safety
- +Food Product Development and Processing
- +Food Safety and Quality Management
- +Food Science Research Dissertation
- +Scientific Research Methodology
- +Food Science Industrial Placement
- +Nutrition and Food Policy